A native of Atlanta, Dan Franklin practiced landscape architecture for over 40 years throughout the eastern United States including Georgia, Alabama, Florida, Maryland, New Hampshire, New York, North Carolina, South Carolina, Tennessee, and Virginia. A Fellow of the American Society of Landscape Architects, Franklin left behind over 2,000 individual gardens, and the gift of the Dan B. Franklin Scholarship Endowment Fund for the College of Environment and Design at the University of Georgia. He was also active in the Georgia Chapter of the ASLA, the Georgia Trust for Historic Preservation, the Georgia Conservancy, the Southern Garden History Society, the Atlanta Botanical Garden, the Southface Energy Institute, and the National Trust for Historic Preservation. Much of his work has been published in Landmark Homes of Georgia 1733-1983, The Gardens of Georgia, and Classic Atlanta—Landmarks of the Atlanta Spirit. Design work includes historic residential sites, church landscapes, country clubs, neighborhood design, and commercial development. Franklin graduated from the University of Georgia in 1963 and remained a loyal alumnus throughout his life. The Owens Library at the College of Environment and Design has a large body of his original drawings, a selection of which is found in scanned format here. For permission to use these files or for more information, contact the Owens Library at 706-542-8292 or visit the library in the Jackson Street Building at 285 S. Jackson Street, Athens, Ga.

Recent Submissions

View more