From spirit to structure : a study of Georgia's historic camp meeting grounds
Deviney, Claudia Head
MetadataShow full item record
Georgia has a wealth of extant camp meeting grounds dotting the countryside that are "active" today. These historic sites are the products of the Second Awakening or Great Revival, which began around the turn of the nineteenth century. The architecture established by 1820 that was produced by this important "socioreligious [sic ] American phenomenon," is the focal point of this study. The study looks closely at the movement’s history and the architecture it created both in the north and the south, especially in Georgia. The author surveyed the extant vernacular architecture at thirty-five camp meeting grounds across the state of Georgia. Through careful examination the thesis reveals why the architecture is important and why it should be recognized, preserved and protected. A survey of historic camp meeting grounds identified and listed on the National Register of Historic Places across the United States was also conducted. This was done to highlight the disparity in the number of active, extant sites identified to the few sites that have been listed on the National Register in Georgia. This thesis calls for a plan of action to make the public aware of these sites and the vernacular architecture at each of them, in order to insure their rightful place among Georgia’s vernacular architecture and their future protection.