An inventory and analysis of extant county training school buildings in Georgia originally established with philanthropic funds devoted to African American education (1911-1937)
Adair, David James
MetadataShow full item record
The segregated, publicly-funded County Training School was the antecedent of the segregated, publicly-funded Negro High School. It is an underappreciated significant historic property type that merits recognition and preservation. This thesis examines the inception of the industrial education model for African American schools, the development of the County Training School in the rural South, and the history and organization of the principal private philanthropic foundations that were most influential in the establishment of these schools. This thesis further presents the results of an effort to identify all County Training Schools established in Georgia with the use of funds from those philanthropic foundations devoted to African American education in the South between 1911 and 1937. An inventory and analysis of extant former County Training School buildings in Georgia are provided, as are recommendations for further study and for the documentation and recognition of this significant resource.